1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc RB Designs Carb Mods on CR/WR125 bikes

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by MattR, Dec 20, 2010.

1. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    I'm interested in hearing all rider feedback on any RB Designs carb mods on 125 cc bikes. I'm primarily interested in 38mm PWK and before/after results.

More info on RB Designs carb mods
  2. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Go for it! I have an older TMX that has the dividers in it and I was impressed that it is a stump pulling, son of a gun!

It has them on both front and rear.

I am going to do both front and rear on the newer TMXX to see what happens.
  3. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    It works quite well, improved bottom and mid, but for some reason I feel it makes the needle a little more touchy though.

Then again I've never had much luck finding a needle and clip position to stick with on these tiddlers, even given my fairly consistent temperatures.
  4. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    WOW!!! This is must-have item for all bikes

A few weeks ago, I sent my 38mm PWK air striker to RB Designs. We exchanged several emails and I went with his recommendations. Ron installed his divider plate on the outlet side (i.e., reed valve side), did some low speed circuit mods, and added his RB mixture screw.

First Impressions:
    His turnaround time was very quick. I got my carb back in a few days and my first impressions were good. The carb was machined for the divider plate and overall workmanship was top-notch! The divider plate reaches all the way to the slide and matches the slide profile very closely. So the carb bore greatly reduces it effective diameter at smaller throttle openings. The RB mixture screw is also very nice! There is a second spring to help maintain your adjustment. The knob is knurled for easy turning and has an indicator line to help note your setting.

Ride Impressions:
    I rode my bike just before shipping out the carb, so I had a good baseline to go from. I also left my winter jetting setup exactly the same before his modifications. My first observations was that my bike started up easier. A couple quick jabs on the kicker and the littler 125 fired to life.

I did my usual warm-up and rode easy for a few minutes down the trail. I immediately realized that this was not the same bike! This modification has made a major transformation. Previously, my throttle roll-on was tame and lacked low end response. I used to think this was just a "125 trait" and lived with it. Well, let me tell you... 125's can have some serious bark and low end response... you just need Ron to work his magic. My bike feels like someone just installed a 144cc big bore kit. The changes from idle through mid range were that dramatic.

My CR125 now runs flawlessly throughout the entire range. You get a very small bore at low end (increasing torque), then as you roll-on the throttle, the bore opens proportional to the slide action and results in the same screaming top end of the 38mm bore. I purposely short shifted and tried to bog my bike. It always pulled strongly when rolling on the throttle. This thing performed awesome!

I would highly recommend to other members. :cheers:
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good to hear Matt. So you had the RB mod done to your stock carb? I was thinking about having them do my CR head and carb so this sounds very good. We will be sending my sons GG300 parts for the same. Thanks for your writing up your impressions.
  6. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    John,

I did it to the PWK 38mm AS that I bought (from Motosportz). Seeing the amount of difference that it made, I'm sure that you would also get excellent results with the Mikuni TMX.
  7. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

MattR,

Did he taper bore and plate both ends of the carb for $125?

Did he say how much he bored the spigot?
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Cool Matt I give him a call this week and see what he thinks about doing the mod to the stock Mikuni.
  9. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    No boring was done. Since my carb was already 38mm and my bike is a 125, his recommendation was the divider plate and circuit mods that I described above. The divider was done only on the one side. Ron has been doing carb mods for many years and many types of bikes. I went with his expertise.

Other bikes and engine sizes may require a totally different approach. For example, KTM's with the smaller 36mm carbs need the bore increased up to 39mm and divider plate installed. The GasGas bikes get even more tweaks and slide modifications. It would best to talk with Ron about the characteristics that you are after. He responds to his emails and provides great service. :thumbsup:
  10. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've had Ron work his magic on my KDX motor, and I have nothing but praise for his work. I'm happy to hear that his mods help out the 125, too. I might just have to send my carb out.
  11. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    How are liking your hybrid?
  12. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

She's a beaut, and it just eats up the rocks and hills of PA. I love it.
  13. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    How does the RB divider plate compare to the scary fast one. What sort of idle circuit mods did he make? All I saw on the website was a hand adjustable airscrew.
    Thanks, GP
  14. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    RB divider plate is nothing like the Power Now products. I had a Power Now on my last bike and there was little improvement. The Power Now divider is shaped differently and only covers a portion of the carb bore. The RB divider is machined and welded to fit perfectly in the carb bore. It covers the entire length up to the slide. While installing the divider plate, Ron can also make the other low circuit mods to work together. The overall package works excellent and it boosts the signal strength of the low speed circuit making it work more effectively.

His site does have examples of carb mods for different bikes. You can only get his mixture screw if you have him do the mods. It requires some machine work to work properly.
    http://www.rb-designs.com/carb.html

You may want to go to his home page to see all of his services.
  15. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    Thanks, sounds like it is worth the time to ship it off, versus ordering a powernow.
    GP
  16. vegtablebrain Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a power now valve, Moose reed spacer and a power valve spring kit. All of these changes made an improvement. I think the power valve spring kit helped the most. The Moose reed spacer (same as a Honda CR 125) makes it more difficult to install and remove carb.
  17. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Photos of my carb modifications

Here is a couple pics of the divider plate.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here is a view with the slide installed. Note the divider plate covers the full length of the bore up to the slide.

[IMG]

Here is a comparison of the RB mixture screw vs. the stock screw. Note the second spring to help maintain your adjustment setting. Nice!

[IMG]

Here is a close-up of the RB mixture screw installed. Adjustments are very easy now with gloves on.

[IMG]

Note: the OD is remachined to provide the proper profile to mate with the manifold boot.

[IMG]

Thanks Ron! You did an awesome job. :cheers:
    Petar likes this.
  18. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    Good! I might build one someday...
  19. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Nice Job!

I have an older TMX and that carb is a stump pulling monster. I am sure that they did the mod both front and back.
  20. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    great pics, you just talked me out of the PowerNow for the 144 :cheers: i added a PN to my TC, which was already jetted purrrfect, for a little more refinement. works well.

question for john01: did you ever send your stock TMX off to Ron? my WR144 gets here next week so i'm making a master list of mods. curious if anyone has feedback on an RB modded TMX... on the fence whether to grab the PWK from Motosportz.