1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc wr125 dyno testing

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by gsxr1000user, Sep 24, 2010.

1. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks to those who helped me find how to get the new post started; I am not a computer guy. I do not think I will have time to do any work over the weekend but hope to the following week. Some of my veiws/opinions can be seen in "wr125 performanc/bog problem solved?"
  2. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Idon´t have a 125, but i´m curious about the powercurve!

Johnny
  3. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here are some baseline runs

needle-6DEY15-74-4th clip second to full rich,
    main-470
    slide-4.0
    pilot 45 at 2 turns out
    no air filter
    2nd runs the clip was changed to the 3rd(middle) grove and I think the dip would have come up more if we went to the 2nd to leanest grove. This was not done as I determined that the needle was not flowing anymore fuel up top and the bike was very lean up high in the run. I drilled a main jet way oversized compaired to the 470 and no change at all. The power valve spring is the orange one with around a 5k opening. I still do not have the RM needle but wanted to get something on here for you guys.

Attached Files:

4. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just some info; the dyno being used is a Land and Sea brand portable twin roller water brake dyno. It is made to do cars mainly so you can guess it may not be ideal for a 125. I feel it is accurate but do to the weight of the rollers the graphs are going to look smooth. The charts show much finer detail of what is going on. The load the rollers puts on the bike is way more than it would see if going down the road. Lots of clutching to get it spinning and all pulls are done in 2nd gear.
    On the lack of fuel issue; I have concluded that the DEY and BFY .74 needles do not flow any more than about a 450ish main jet. Therefore, I do not plan on going any further with those needles. It is strange I must say. Riding the bike it does not feel that lean up top but I thing it may be that it is relative differance to the bottom bog. I do plan on getting a wideband O2 sensor to plot the mixture along with the dyno charts and would have done this but our sensor needs replaced.
  5. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Darty, I ordered two needles on 9/20 early morning as I thought they may go backordered due to your post! I may order the richer tapers also as I would like to get my pilot down below 40 for mileage in the woods. I will be doing part throttle pulls as well as power valve tests(springs and such) after the major fueling problem is fixed. I would love to have a cr125 rotor/ignition to test if someone has a source. The weight of the rollers would only show the ignition advance if any as the flywheel I think has little to do on 2000lbs(est) of rollers!
  6. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for publishing your work. It would be nice if you could do a "stock" run with the stock PV spring so we could get a baseline. I found that opening the PV earlier then stock made the flat spot in the mid range worse and the hit that much more violent.
  7. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

looks like leaner of the 2 (clip pos #3) gives better result and more linear. Would love to see a white spring combo vs a orange spring combo. I personally think the opening of the PV too early on a 125 is a stifling effect. Gives smoother user friendly power but....
  8. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    gsxr,(and others) jump back to the bog post. I put a few really bad videos there.

Mostly to be listened to...

I posted the current specs, bike seems worlds better. But we are working on hare scramble type of power delivery...

Take a listen...

Thanks
  9. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks for all your hard work gsxr1000user and sharing of your results. Man I would love to see a same dyno run on the Husky 144 kit as a compairson. Anybody have a dyno run on a 144 Husky kit?
  10. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Joe
    I will be baselining the stock power valve spring when I get the mixture taken care of hope the RM needle will take care of that. If the engine is running lean and you open the power valve early in the range it will make it almost too snappy. Hang tight I will be showing whats what with no BS. The spring I am using right now gives and indication of what the engine can produce if it did not have a valve; at least from around 5500 up. Also, read my findings on the stock needles-too lean on top so why use them unless your at 5000ft above sea level? Charleston is about 6-700ft. Back to the valve, look at the first charts and see the engine coming on around 6700? Why hold restrict it by opening the valve at the stock 8k? You are wasting power the engine could be making.
  11. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

John, I would also like to see the 144 on THIS dyno so get in the car and drive my friend. I am only a few hours away.
  12. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

my typing stinks
  13. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just got the RM needle. Heading out in the shop to spin some rollers and should be able to post some graphs in a few hours!
  14. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I don't have a 144 ordered yet or I would take you up on that offer. Heck my Huskys came from a dealer in WV I don't mind driving. I also wonder what the power curve/output is on a CR vs the WR. My 08 Cr feels snappier than a friends 09 WR but most of it may be in the jetting. Please continue with your testing and reporting. Guys like you and Walt are making our bikes better and I for one appreciate all the hard work you put in.
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The extra flywheel weight on the WR will tame it down and not having the digital advance curve hurts too.
  16. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Got the RM needle tested.

Well crap. Its colder by about 20 degrees and I had to take the bike off the dyno over the weekend because I needed straps for transporting other bikes. Crap! The temp change is obvious but with taking the bike off and putting it back on I have changed the straps and the tension/preload on the rear tire. This can cause the readings to change some and all my numbers today were lower on top. I could not match the 30.5hp or so of my baseline runs from last week at 90 degrees! However, we are using the dyno as a tuning tool and not for trying to impress with numbers(I have other bikes and cars for that!) What I can tell you is that I was wrong about the power valve needing to open early at least with wide open throttle; dead wrong. Part throttle may be something else and I will try that at a later time. I only changed the needle to the RM for my first runs today and the bike did sound way better and I could see some smoke behind me. The plug started to show a little rich after several pulls and a couple runs through the gears and a 6th gear ignition/clutch chop at the top end. I was comfortable with it and made recorded pulls but could not equall last week--its only numbers the bike IS running better.
  17. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

So what did it do?

I used the RM needle in the middle or 3rd clip, 470main, 45pilot at 2 turns out, #4 slide. At this point I am only doing full throttle pulls from about 4k-12k. Went to a 460 and peak came up a little, to 450 and about .5hp higher than the 470. I think the 460 is good for 75 degrees with the RM needle. Went to clip 2nd leanest and 5-7 flat spot smoothed out some. I went as low as a 430 main without a drop in top end but the 430 did help the flat spot(must be rich 5-7k with orange pv spring). 460 back in place and DEY needle in 3rd grove to rerun that baseline with the orange pv spring and it was a bit too lean up top but seem compairable otherwise but not as responsive and the sound was off. Ok can't get rid of the dip 5-7k with orange pv spring so in goes stock spring and still 460main, DEY needle. Gained 5hp at 7000rpm! and smooth curve. Out comes the DEY and back to the RM needle in the 2nd to top grove and it sounds better, responds better, gains a little hp up top and the lower end of the curve is still way better at WFO than with the orange PV spring. I did not have time to post graphs but will sort the 20 or so pulls and post the best examples of various setups,WFO
  18. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

White power valve spring and RM needle

No changes to the jetting setup and minimal time between spring changes as I am leaving the cover off. The slot on the linkage is and has been above the bolt head. So again; RM needle, 460main, 45pilot at 2 turns out, #4 slide, oh needle clip in 2nd from leanest(top) The white spring brought back a pretty large flat spot down low 5.5-6ish thou RPM range. Soo, only a couple pulls to make shure they matched and at WFO in that rpm range it is weaker. I don't think I will be testing the softer springs much unless I see some gains on the upcoming part throttle testing. We must remember that WFO and struggling to overcome the 2000 pound rollers does not mean the springs are of no use. I though at part throttle RIDING THE BIKE it felt more responsive by far but the full load on the dyno says otherwise.
  19. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

We are at least matching ahttp://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=ey-UevJRbzM&vq=mediumn 05 yz at 7 thousand with are PV spring stock
  20. gsxr1000user Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well that link didn't work