Reinforced Tail Rack Frame - TE610

Discussion in '610/630' started by Howard70, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Aside from regular rides, I plan to use my TE610 for back-country camping trips. I've seen a couple of posts where the thin aluminum tail rack frame had busted when overloaded so I decided to reinforce mine. I'm no welder, and my metal working tools consist of hammers and vices, so this is a pretty crude set up, but it's light and hopefully adds significant support.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The front brace ties into the Dirtbagz pannier mounts which provide quite a bit of additional support.

I've uploaded additional photos, some crude "patterns", and more explanations of the installation to my albums (http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/album.php?u=230), so I hope this link works!

I'll let you all know how this works after a couple of camping trips.

Howard L. Snell
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    That is incredibly cool, especially the time you took to document everything.

Thanks! :cheers:
  3. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks seriously beefy. :thumbsup:
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Yes, it certainly does! Good job, Howard70:thumbsup:

I might have to do this if I start carrying heavier and/or more camping gear. I usually put the heavier stuff in my panniers.

WoodsChick
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Looks good but be careful as the subframe end tabs can / will snap off.
  6. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Subframe tabs

Hello Motosportz:

Thanks for the warning! I've been looking for a simple way to support the bottom horizontal section of the Dirt Bagz pannier mounts from above (perhaps from some gussets that are already on the subframe forward of the rear seat mount). That would seem like a relatively simple way to provide some stress relief for the subframe tabs which I understand are the weakest link in the system (aside from the tail rack frame).

I'm also not trying to turn this TE610 into a KLR650 that can carry 100 or more pounds.... If the extra fuel requirements can be met with one of the hoped-for larger tanks rumored to be in the works, then the camping / bike gear should come in under 50 pounds (although remote desert trips require water that gets heavy quick).

Howard L. Snell
  7. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

Nice job:thumbsup: Thanks for posting!
  8. skywalker951 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I will be doing the same to my 610 this spring and have a XR650 that has been turned into an adventure bike with soft luggage, etc. I have been trying to come up with a way to add support on the xr and make some supports that attach to the the sidestand or brake mount. These would not be for real heavy loads but may allow for extra pounds and peace of mind. I would try to tie into the rack mounting bolts or other places to add strength. On the 610 I may be able tie into the passenger peg mounts. My xr can be striped for enduro action or set up for touring with large windshield, tank, lights, and gearing changes. I am going to a 610 because of the 6-speed, f.i. and the button.
  9. edeslaur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Howard,

It looks like you've done a nice job reinforced the junior subframe (I bent mine all to heck with the antics below) but those nice aluminum ears you've attached your new bar stock like to break off the subframe for some people.

I have a small JC Whitney topcase on my bike, and I've launched it over hundreds of jumps in Baja with minimal issues where others have broken things. I think part of it *is* the Dirt Bagz mounts, but I still worry about them.

My subframe is off right now as I'm waiting for my suspension to get back (I think they're inventing mining so they can get the ore for the new springs in my weight), and I'm trying to figure out what I should do there.
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Someone clicked on the House Keeping button to let us know the pictures in post 1 were no longer valid.

I apologize for that, those pictures were lost when we transitioned software in early 2011.. they are gone. And Howard70 has not logged in for a long time.