New 125 4 Stroke Supermoto & Trail Bikes

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Ex HVUK, May 21, 2010.

1. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Images and details of the new 125cc 4 stroke Supermoto and trail bikes have been released - these are not competition bikes but 'learner legal' to comply with European legislation for restricted license holders or 'learners' as we call them in the UK.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Press release:
    The TE125 and SMS4 are the new four stroke 125 cc models from Husqvarna, aimed at young fans of the brand: the TE 125 for those that prefer the off road look, the SMS4 for a touch of Supermoto style and speed in urban traffic. Both inherit a look that is particularly aggressive and appealing, reflecting the style of the race bikes used in World Championship competition by the official Husqvarna team.

The chassis of the two new models is a monobeam in Cr-Mo steel with a circular cross section and rear seat rail, also in steel.

The engine is single-cylinder, 4 valve, four stroke, with an actual capacity of 124.45 cc, offering a 6 speed gearbox and liquid cooling. For added convenience both bikes are fitted with electric start as standard.

The colours available are racing red for the TE and white for the SMS4. All graphics are incorporated into the bodywork using the innovative ‘in-mould plastic decoration’ (IPD) system.

Using techniques learnt from building championship winning competition bikes, Husqvarna engineers have worked hard to keep the weight of the two new models as low as possible, with both bikes having a kerb weight (exc. fuel) of just 117kgs. This makes both new bikes particularly manageable and easy to handle in every situation.

With a maximum power of 11KW (15 HP), these new Husqvarna 125 cc models are UK ‘learner legal’ and join the existing two stroke SMS125 and WRE125 learner legal bikes to complete the Husqvarna range.

The new Husqvarna TE125 and SMS4 will be available from Husqvarna dealerships from late June.

The Engine

The single overhead camshaft (SOHC) 4-stroke, liquid-cooled 124.45 cc engine is the same for both versions, TE and SMS4. Cylinder bore and stroke are 52 mm x 58.6 mm, with a compression ratio of 11.2:1.

Both versions have a 6 speed transmission, but with different final drive ratios for the two models, to optimise performance in all conditions - urban traffic or dirt track.
    The 125 cc engine ensures good fuel economy and reduced emissions, being compliant with Euro 3 emissions regulations.

Fuelling is taken care of by a Keihin 29 mm carburettor, with ignition being electronic. The lubrication is wet sump with claw pump and cartridge filter.

To ensure optimum response and power adequate to requirements, the exhaust system has been specially designed for the two different versions.

Mechanical Features

Both of the new Husqvarna 4T models are obviously "miniature" big bikes. The attention to detail and excellent quality of construction in all mechanical parts ensure that these two "new entries" to the highly competitive 125 cc market are close in design and aesthetics to the bigger bikes made by the original Swedish manufacturer with over 100 years of experience.

In fact, with their chassis size and design values, the TE125 and SMS4 could easily pass for the race bikes of Antoine Meo and Adrien Chareyre.

Just like the Husqvarna professional racing bikes, the tank and seat have been designed for maximum mobility and comfort: the rider can rapidly move forwards or backwards to cope with different road conditions or riding techniques.

The position of the handlebars and the distance between seat and footrests have also been designed to ensure rider comfort and improve overall handling of the bike.

The front forks have a diameter of 40 mm with 260 mm of effective travel. The rear suspension is a single shock absorber, with adjustable spring preload offering 282mm of travel on the SMS4 and 290mm on the TE125.

Safety: the front brakes are floating calliper double piston with a disc diameter of 260 mm, the rear brakes are also floating calliper, with disc diameter 220 mm.
    The wheels are made of light alloy, with 17 inch hubs in the Supermoto version, allowing the use of a 140 section rear tyre which is perfectly adapted to the chassis and gives the SMS4 the look of a big motorbike, with great cornering performance.
    The TE125 trail bike has the full size 21" front / 18" rear wheels, just like the racing Husqvarnas allowing a wide choice of tyres.
    The compact digital instrument panel completes the series design of the new Husqvarna four stroke models. The LCD display, in addition to the speedometer, can show rev counter, indicators, lights, odometer (total and partial), driving time and clock.

Principal Features – SMS4 and TE125
    • Single cylinder engine, SOHC, 4 valves, 4 stroke, liquid-cooled, 124.45 cc
    • Electric start
    • Maximum power 11kW (15HP) at 9000 rev/min
    • Maximum torque 12,1Nm at 8000 rev/min
    • Six speed gearbox
    • Rated Euro 3 emissions compliant
    • Steel chassis
    • Long travel suspension
    • Multilink rear suspension with adjustable preload mono shock absorber
    • Instrument panel complete with LCD display
    • Bodywork graphics with in-mould plastic decoration
    • Floating calliper disc brakes
    • Wheels: 21" and 18" for the Trail version and 17" for the SMS4
    • Saddle height 900 mm for the Supermoto version, 930 mm for the Trail
    • Rear tyre 140 mm for the Supermoto version
    • Colours available: white/red for the TE, white for the SMS4

Dave
  2. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I wonder if NA will be getting them? The biggest problem I see is that the seat height is WAY too tall for a learner bike. 930mm? Thats full size bike height.

If it was 850-870mm max then Husky would have a winner.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I agree Husky needs beginner bikes to get the whole family riding them like the Honda commercials. I am ready to get my grandson's a 50, 65, and 85 NOW! A lowered 125 would take sales from the Yam 125 that the mom's like so much. Come on Husky.
  4. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Yeah I looked at the seat height too with the same thought but the TE125 is actually the same height as the equivalent Yamaha WR125R - the SM version is 20mm lower than the Yam WR125X SM version too. Both bikes a lot lighter than the Yams...

Dave
  5. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

... and if you're done with learning to drive, then you can swap the engine for a wr125 engine...

r
  6. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    COMING SOON; 66mm big bore kits.
  7. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    Interesting... I've been trying to decide on a small bike to buy for my wife (who's never ridden), but considering the seat height, and the weight (117kg? Ouch!) I think we'll be looking for a KLX140L. It's a lower seat height (over 5 inches) and a huge savings in weight at about 95kg.
  8. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    Ahh, the good old learner laws. Speaking as an ex-kid, forcing teenagers to ride four-strokes is a bit (to me) like telling five-year-olds that there's no Santa Claus. ;)

117kg is pretty porky, but the bikes look nice and solid. If kids can't have speed, then they'll settle for bikes that look grown-up - notice that they don't have "125" writ large all over 'em.

Pretty aggressive looking tyres on the TE - I wonder how it'll handle on the muddy stuff.
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    thank you Scot Harden.
  10. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    The 117kg weight is actually pretty good compared to the direct competition. The WR125R Yam weighs in at 133kgs according to the Yamaha UK site, whilst the Derbi Senda 125 is 124kgs...

It does seem a lot compared to TE250 for example but it seems to be light for the class.

Dave
  11. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki RMz450, 2013 KTM250sx
    Very good point. The seat would be to high for my wife to learn on, this is why I must settle with the TTR125.
    Cool bike though. A 125 four stroke would be great for a teenage boy looking to learn on.
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Interesting. I'll assume the under 125cc 4st class has looser requirements so efi is not needed.

:)
  13. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
  15. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    Thats coolish...but like others said....make it wife sized.

:banghead:
  16. ozzie Husqvarna
    AA Class

If it was smaller in hight i would get rid of my wifes XT225 it would be nice to have another Husky in the shed. But then again, it wont make it to OZ
  17. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Still they are a pretty little thing are they not?
  18. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    Oh yeah - if I was 17 again (and not broke like the first time round...)

The chains look a bit tight though. That'll be the ad-men, I guess. :busted:
  19. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    Well spotted! It always amazes me how loose my chain looks when there's nobody sitting on the bike.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Not street legal but if my wife wanted to ride more she would be a on a massively lowered WR125 with a cut seat. This looks like a good bike to start moving the line downward into these classes. Good job husky.