Los Angeles to Peru in 2009

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by mikebikeboy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

Hi ppls! I'm planning a trip through central america next summer and originally thought of buying a DR650 for this adventure but the more I rode my Husky sm610 the more I began thinking it could do the job, maybe better than the Dr650. here's a couple snaps of my model, a 2006.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

I got the jetting working fine on it, it rips and I love it. I'd be putting dual sport tires on it for off road use and dirt roads. I'll be traveling extremely light too, using soft luggage (probably Giant Loop bag, it's cool) and a tank bag and took bag. that's pretty much it.

I was wondering if anyone can help me target the key parts of the bike that I'd want to prepare either by bringing that extra part or by having it ready for someone to send to me. I was planning on bringing a camchain, and maybe an extra chain (maybe that's too heavy though)

Also, does anyone know how well the fat supermotard dual sport tires will handle dirt roads?

Any responses welcome and I wish all luck with their lives and travels.

mikebikeboy

:clap
  2. Dustsucker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Giantloop bags rock. very stable, versital and bombproof.:thumbsup:
  3. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    The Pirelli 'MT' series is pretty versitle, on and off road.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Sounds like fun. Looking at your bike...

- Skid plate
    - rad guards
    - Luggage rack (or does the U shaped bag just lay on the fender?)
    - IMS tank ?
    - Gun
    - Cash in your butt crack (in case they steal your gun and take your pants.) :D

I would not bother with ether chains. makes sure you stuff is in real good shape and run it. I have never had a chain failure in over 30 years of riding. Of corurse now that i said that my chain will break tomorrow taking out the cases. :>)
  5. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

What type of navigation will you use and what is your planned total round trip distance?
  6. surly Husqvarna
    AA Class

7. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

Yeah I saw those and was quite taken back at how simple the set up is and how sturdy...

Yes someone else told me about those and I was planning on those. Thanks.

My current list of stuff is:

1) skid plate
    2) radiator guards
    3) luggage system (If I go with Giant Loop U-bag, it doesn't need any kind of rack.)
    4) bigger gas tank (but not sure I need this. My current gas tank gets 3 gallons at about 40 miles a gallon. I think in Central America there are always towns within 120 miles? Jeez I better just check that out......)
    5) new seat to save my butt from becoming a meatpie
    6) carb vent and fuel filter

Any ideas about the carb vent? someone told me about that on ADVRider and the fuel filter, I can just make one with a sock right? or...sorry guys I'm new to tinkering.

7) 12 volt air pump
    8) tubeless tire repair kits
    9) fuses and spark plugs
    10) octane boosters

Navigation I'm planning on is maps and locals. I think I'm going to skip the GPS because even though it's probably an amazing thing, I'm really trying to keep my expensive gadgets to a minimum and really only take a phone and ipod as far as gadgets go. Also, I'd rather not get caught in the dependence of a thing like that. I'd rather ask people. I'd almost rather get lost. After all I'm going to be on an adventure.

Any enlightening opinions on this greatly welcomed of course.

I was planning on getting a Wolfman tank bag but think I'll go with the Giant Loop, it seems nice...and it mounts just to the back tail into the subframe I think---no rack needed.

Thanks for the help guys.
    :cheers:
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Tiny plastic compass?
    Cheap whistle?

I take those 2 things on every ride.
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have you ever been on a bike beyond the CA state line?

If so, where?
  10. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    The Pirelli MT60's are great dualsport tires and give a lot of confidence in gravel and dry dirt situations. However, they don't last long, especially if ridden on pavement. They stick like racing slicks, but disappear quickly. I think I'd look for something a little more sturdy for a long-distance trip where replacement rubber might be hard to come by. You would probably get more useful mileage out of something like a TKC80 or a Metzeler Karoo Traveler. The problem with these is that they aren't really available in sizes for the front. I put a Karoo on the rear of my SM610 and I went with a Pirelli MT21DOT knobby on the front in a 120/90-17. It works great in the dirt and doesn't wander too much on dirt and gravel roads. It's a bit "lumpy" on pavement and tends to let go before the rear, but a 24-mile round trip to work the other day showed almost no wear whatsoever. It might be a good option for you if you'll be doing a lot of dirt, but kind of extreme for street-oriented dualsport stuff.

I'm a big believer in maps and compasses, but I always have a GPS on hand for finding myself on a map if I should get lost. I don't use it for route-finding or anything else. Sometimes I think I know where I am, but have doubts so I whip out the GPS and my map with tick marks on it and can pinpoint exactly where I am. I have a good book called "Staying Found" that teaches how to use a compass to find baselines, navigate, and all sorts of tricks that will help a solo traveler (i.e. how to tell how much daylight is left even if you don't know what time it is or when the sun sets.) I would highly recommend being self-sufficient when it comes to directions and route-finding.

The GiantLoop bag is, indeed, a fine piece of equipment. It seems to carry the weight nice and low, keeps it away from the rear wheel (unlike DirtBagz) and needs no mounting hardware other than the bolts that go through the plastic fender and sidepanels. I wish it were waterproof, and I wish it had some sort of quick-release for those times when you are away from the bike, as in a hotel for the night. It would be a drag to have to unload everything in order to not get your stuff stolen in some nefarious third-world country. I would also throw a rear rack on there just to be safe.
    There might be some things you can't/won't want to put in a GiantLoop bag, such as a gas can, broken parts, etc. I have a ProMotoBillet rack on the rear, and I also have a pair of Mountainsmith dog panniers strapped to the rear of the seat for extra carrying capacity. If you go with the GiantLoop, invest in some good waterproofing products for it.

Speaking of extra capacity, I would highly recommend a big tank. In fact, that would be the first thing on my list for a long trip in unknown lands. Hell, I just installed a 5gal
    IMS yesterday for an upcoming week-long trip through Nevada. I was unable to go where I wanted to go last spring because of a lack of range and I am determined to not let that happen this time. Also, just because some small town is supposed to have a gas station doesn't mean they will actually have gas on any given day. I wasted a few days in Mexico once waiting for the fuel trucks to come and replenish the supply at the local Pemex station. We ended up getting fuel at an airstrip. It's always good to know where those are just in case fuel is scarce.

Are you good at fixing your own tires on the trail? Can you replace a tube with only what you carry in your toolkit?

WoodsChick
  11. BendEuroMoto Husqvarna
    A Class

Have you considered Canada? I am just a little put off from south of the border trips right now. http://helpbrittandlia.com/

I have a lot of customers that travel south on a regular basis, some even own homes in Baja or mainland Mexico. Even before the horrible attack happened to Britt and Lia, many of them have chilled out on going south for a while. I was planning on Baja this winter but have decided to just visit SoCal, Arizona, Nevada, and other hot in the winter areas with in the saftey of the USA.
  12. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

Last year I rode from Los Angeles to Halifax, Nova Scotia and back...3 months of camping, family visits and exploring...rode a BMW K75. Was a fantastic trip! Before that trip I was scared of anything south of the border. Since, I've lived in Argentina for a few months earlier this year and have started to feel very keen on exploring Mexico and the rest of Central. I'm in the planning mode...so I'm constantly learning new things from others who have already been into the places I'm thinking of going.

Last trip I did was a 2 week loop of California a month ago--was great! I had with me a small plastic compass which I actually used more than I thought I was going to. I game some peace of mind when I was not sure I was going in the right direction.

What's the cheap whistle for though?

To WoodsChick:

Thanks for the great tire advice. I really appreciate it. I was planning on using the Motard 17 inch wheel rims, so I will see if the other tires you suggested will fit on those. Also about fixing tires, these are tubeless so I was going to get a tubeless tire fix kit. Supposedly it's easy as pie to plug a hole with and be on your way.

I've also asked another guy on ADVRider about the GPS and he told me it's indispensable. He said the better your mapping situation is, the more adventure you'll have, which is what I want. He really sold me on it.

I wonder if the Giant Loop bag will still work with the stock Husky 610 rear rack? hmm...

Good point about the quick release function for the Giant Bag. I imagine I could use some kind of quick-release bolts. I will research that.

About the gas tank situation, thanks. I am extremely curious if I really need 5 gallons and will do more research on it over at ADVRider.

Yes I will probably go through Canada sometime, it's beautiful and safe and clean...

I heard about that unfortunate couple who got stabbed in Ecuador recently. A guy I called about a hard luggage system for the 610 told me about them. I honestly don't listen much to things like that because it's completely random and there's as little chance of that happening to me as getting bitten by a shark or stung by a bee. Even here in the States there are very dangerous places but with common sense you avoid them.

Fear of the people and of what might happen is the worst thing to bring into another country---you actually invite the negative by harbouring those feelings.

Thanks everyone for their ideas...much appreciated.

mikebikeboy
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I carry a cheap (15 cents?) plastic whistle to get peoples attention in case something goes wrong. It is sorta hard to get peoples attention sometimes. Started carrying that after I broke my leg in the forest, luckily someone was riding with me when that happened.
  14. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

15. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  17. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I have an `07 Husky SM610 and run the Pirelli MT60's on my 17" motard wheels. I currently have the above mentioned Metzeler Karoo and Pirelli MT21 on my 17" wheels, so I know they fit. I run heavy duty tubes in them. Even the stock tires have tubes in them. They are not tubeless rims.

I'm a big believer in not getting lost, and if a GPS can help me to that end, then it goes on the "take" list. I am seriously considering one of the Spot devices mentioned above. With the amount of time I spend wandering no-man's-land, I think it would be a good idea to have one.

I don't think the GiantLoop bag will fit with the stock rack. Have you checked out the GiantLoop website yet? It's pretty informative, with installation videos and such. I'm really liking my ProMotoBillet rack. I have the stock rack in a box in my basement, but the PMB is bigger and more versatile. As for quick-release stuff, I'd be careful about what I use, as I wouldn't want all my worldly posessions releasing themselves quickly while I wasn't paying attention.

My philosophy on fuel is you can never have enough unless you're on fire. All of my bikes have large aftermarket tanks, even my CR125 motocrosser. There's nothing more liberating than range, and I can never get enough of it.

Pirelli MT60's, rear is 160/60-17, front 120/70-17
    [IMG]

Metzeler Karoo Traveler in a 150/60-17...
    [IMG]

Pirelli MT21 in 120/90-17 (stock is 120/70-17)on front...
    [IMG]

The photo above also shows the rack and the panniers.

WoodsChick
  18. mikebikeboy Husqvarna

GREAT photos Woodschick!!!

That front tire looks like a HEFTY HUNK of Burning Junk!!! No seriously it looks like a real good strong tire.

I'm definitly appreciating your help with me on this as tires were one of my main concerns with this bike.

So you say even the stock racing slicks I got on the bike have tubes in them? The tires say "tubeless" on the outside...maybe we have different rims..???

Also do you put in those "anchoring screws" around the rims to keep the tire from slipping? Or is there a security bolt on these rims?

Sorry for the NOOB questions but I'm still learning about dual sport and motorcycling in general even though I've been riding for like 8 years now. I've just never had to learn so much as I always took the bikes to a shop for repair. Now with a big trip in mind I'm feeling the dire need to know my bike.

I'm giving the bigger gas tank a lot more thought now. It would be a great feeling to not worry about gas all the time...Freedom! Just wondering how much of the bike's agility is lost with a massive tank on there...

Thanks again for you're help, you rock!

Mike :notworthy:
  19. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Fairing is #1 upgrade. Dont go without one. Day after day after day of windblast will wear ya out and make ya tired and 'over it'