Power Commander V is now available for 2008/9 Husqvarna bikes

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Coffee, Jul 24, 2009.

1. HUSQVNA Husqvarna
    AA Class

The suspense is killin me! Have cash, will spend! :)
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Update on PC 5 and Auto Tune availability

Overview:
    • The 2009 bikes seem to run well when compared to the 2008 bikes. The PC V does indeed make the 2009 bikes run better though.
    • The PC V will work with the Auto Tune module and that will compensate for a variety of details like exhaust pipes.
    • Dynojet will only officially support the 2009 bikes although they should work fine for the 2008 bikes - more on that in another post.
    • I now have a PC V & Auto Tune module. It is my hope that I can put these on some 2008 bikes and make them run much better. If that is the case then the 2008 bike owners can purchase the PC V and Auto Tune and their bikes will run correctly.

PC V ordering information:
    Available direct from Dynojet starting August 24th 2009 - when it is on their website, it will be available. You need to call distributors with these part numbers and ask what the availability would be through them if you choose to not to order from Dynojet.
    $359.95
    2009 TE310: 23-001
    2009 TE/SM450: 23-003
    2009 TE/SM510: 23-004
    The only differences in the above units is the base map software installed. Bikes such as the 2009 TE250 & TE/SM610 which do not have maps available, and all of the 2008 efi bikes, should work with any of the above part numbers with the Auto Tune module. The Auto Tune module will develop the maps for you.

Auto Tune module: AT-200 $249.00

Special note: the PC Vs are preloaded with the first map they developed for an engine of that displacement. For example because the first 2009 450 that was tested was a TE, part number 23-003 will always arrive preloaded with the 2009 TE450 map. If the application is a 2009 SM450 then for optimal results the 23-003 PC V should be loaded with the SM450 map when it becomes available, although the 2009 TE450 map would be a great starting point especially when used with and autotune. Each PC comes with a CD with all the maps that exist, and those are also on the website.

It should be noted that the 2009 TEs come with a removable catalytic insert and has 1 exhaust, the 2009 SMs come with 2 exhausts and the catalytic is not considered removable.

Special note regarding Auto Tune: The Lambda sensor can be damaged when crossing streams. If a ride of that nature is planned you may want to consider removing the sensor and plug the hole. Ideally you should also connect to a computer and telling the PC/AT to stop trying to auto tune, but that is not necessary.
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Dynojet tuning August 20th 2009

Ibeat diagnostic version 2.0.5

Bike #1: 2009 TE310
    Emissions still intact, spark arrester still installed
    Lambda sensor removed & plug installed, and power up resistor installed.

CO = 100% for all
    TPS Setting = 952 (what is recorded in the bike)
    TPS Reading = 957 (what the actual reading is), Full open = 4390mV

Bike #2: 2009 TE450
    Emissions gone, spark arrester still installed
    Lambda sensor removed & plug installed, and power up resistor installed.

CO = 100% for all
    TPS Setting = 972 (what is recorded in the bike)
    TPS Reading = 972 (what the actual reading is)

It was confirmed that the because the power up kit was installed on both bikes, even ibeat II cannot adjust the FB1,2,3 parameters and the Valuese numbers could not be read - Valuese numbers would only make sense to you if you were acquainted with ibeat II in standard (closed loop mode, not powered up) mode. That is the topic for another thread because could not be evaluated.

CO1, CO2, CO3 were all set to 100% for both bikes (those are the open loop adjustment parameters - more later).

The Dynojet then developed the maps for the 2 bikes for the PC V. The bikes ran well enough in stock form, especially compared to the 2008 bikes that Dynojet has tested.

Using the developed map the CO numbers were adjusted as follows:
    Graph #1: CO1=CO2=CO3=100%, then CO1 = 110%, CO2 = 100%, CO3 = 90%, and the rpm when those data points were picked were not all the same.

Graph #2: CO1=CO2=CO3=100%, then CO1=100%, CO2 = 115%, CO3 = 100%, all at 7,000 rpms and is much more consistent.

Conclusions: The max effect of CO1 is at 20% and below, the max effect of CO2 is 40%, the max effect of CO3 is 70% and above. Going up with the CO% makes the bike run richer i.e. afr goes lower. Also it is important to note that the afr does not have a point at which it 'jumps' to a new afr, it is a gradual change. As you can see going from 100% to 110% makes the bikes go 10 points richer e.g. 13.7->12.7. I hope some of you appreciate these graphs, they took a huge amount of effort to obtain, they should especially be of interest to dealers.

[IMG]

[IMG]

TPS setting experiment: It was quite interesting to note that the TPS has limits. While holding at throttle open and reading the throttle the TPS could be set to less than 1.2V, but not 1.2V or higher. The throttle was held open till 1.196 was read, and that was input as a TPS of 0% open. There was no change of performance and the bike idled fine, even the low speed roll on runs.

"Slow running adjusting screw" (idle speed screw) experiment: Once the bike was warmed up, there was no change in afr when using that screw. That is the screw that presets the "Cold Start" button - black button on left hand side of the bike that can be pulled out. In fact that button being pulled out does not effect the afr either. While anything is possible, the most likely reason for this is the throttle plate may not be closing all the way, and while that screw and Cold Start button adds air, it may not be enough to change the over all amount at idle. Sadly there was not time enough to confirm this.

For reference

2009 TE310

[IMG]

2009 TE450

[IMG]

Attached Files:

4. HUSQVNA Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is EXTREMLY helpful! Now have a good idea where I need to be on the iBeat, and why. Appreciate all the effort you guys put into this. Learning more and more by the day! Thank you.
  5. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Thank you Dean! Did you get yourself a new bike in the process? I look forward to the results on an 08.
  6. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

Dean,

This is probably the most informative and interesting thread I've ever read. I thank you and everyone else involved in this undertaking. Since I just committed to buy a '09 TE310, it's very timely as well.

Thanks!
  7. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Dean,

Great post, extremely useful information.
    The result of a lot of hard work on your behalf I'm sure.

Many thanks.

Dave
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Fantastic stuff Dean. Your efforts here are just unbelievable. I hope the folks at Husqvarna are as appreciative, too.

So, I'm reading that the TPS setting really has no effect on the performance of the bike?
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Not according to the dynamometer with the top tech person at Dynojet doing the testing... I'm sure it affects other things, but the bikes ran great even at that weird TPS setting across all throttle positions and rpms.
  10. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Interesting.......

It, also appears that larger percentages in the "CO" values actually make the bike richer? I think there has been conflicting info. put out about that.
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Lots and lots of conflicting info on the efi stuff - just like every topic on the internet. LOL...

These were the first tests that I know of that characterized the CO open loop numbers in the 2009 bikes using the ibeat II software on a dyno that was run by someone at dyno jet factory.

These are not the FB1,2,3 numbers that are used only in closed loop mode (standard configuration).

It is quite confusing....
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Hmm..... Wasn't aware there was a difference. Everyone always refers to the "FB" numbers in any case, or seems to me.

Have any idea if the "FB" and "CO" numbers correlate to the same AFR effect?
  13. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

The effect of FB's values appears to be the same as CO's values while in race mode. The effect of FB while O2 sensor is installed in closed-loop mode will behave different.

Look at the chart in this post, you'll see that the higher FB1 causes the AFR to be lower (richer). http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45231&postcount=14
  14. Droolsport Husqvarna
    A Class

Great info Dean, thanks for all the work you have put into this.

Any chance you have a pre PC-V dyno chart for the TE450 to compare to the tuned chart?
  15. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sorry, no chart of the bike before the PC V was installed. I seriously doubt there was much, if any, increase in peak power. The 2009 bikes with the power up kit (Lambda plug & resistor in connector to harness) run well already whereas the 2008 bikes do not. The PC V just smooths things out so it runs proper. WOT is fairly lean at some rpms pre-PC V, I doubt anyone will encounter an issue though. It's difficult to keep WOT for more than a few seconds under normal riding circumstances, although I got the distinct impression the Dusty might notice it - he just set a new record on the salt flats.

Again, my personal goal is to get the 2008 bikes running with the PC V and Auto Tune which I now have in my possession. That will take a bit of time and may or may not involve dyno runs closer to where I live. Las Vegas is a bit of a drive for me. Dynojet will not officially support the PC V because they do not want to repeat testing for the 2008 bikes, but the PC V should work just fine :thumbsup:
  16. WMRRA063 Husqvarna
    B Class

Where is the PC V for the our bikes availible at?
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    That information is forthcoming, I'm working hard on this.
  18. DynojetResearch Husqvarna
    A Class

For you guys interested in getting a Power Commander for your bike you need to give a big thanks to Dean for getting us test mules. It is very difficult for us to get these bikes and without him I don't know when we would be able to release them.

The website has been updated and the 310 - 450 - 510 are ready to go.
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks!

edit - http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/PowerCommanderV/powercommander_v.aspx
    Just checked your website - it looks GREAT! These bikes are officially supported by Dynojet and officially available for the PC V!

2009 TE310
    2009 TE/SM450
    2009 TE/SM510

Unless I'm mistaken these bikes are still needed in Las Vegas for testing and people will get a free PC V installed if you take your bike there :thumbsup:

2009 TE250
    2009 SM450
    2009 TE510
    2009 TE610
    2009 SM610

I'm quietly working on some other things... as usual, will update when information is available.
  20. Last Lap Husqvarna
    A Class

When someone gets one for there 310 let me know how it works out.