1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

coolant reservoir bone dry

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by TYTE250, May 6, 2009.

1. TYTE250 Husqvarna

I was changing the oil on my new TE250 this afternoon and noticed that my coolant reservoir is bone dry. I checked it both hot and cold and its still empty. Is this OK? BTW, what type of coolant is everybody running?
    TY
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Just so your radiator isn't dry!:eek: Better take a peek and make sure that's full when you go to fill your reservoir. I've heard that you shouldn't use regular automotive coolant. It can get kind of gelled and is rougher on waterpump seals than stuff designed for bikes. I am trying some coolant made by Motul. I'm sure lots of folks here have their favorite coolants. Like oil threads, coolant has been discussed on this website a few times.:D
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Make sure you fill that sucker up about half way before your next ride. If not and you over heat the steam will burn a hole in it. Seen it with my own eyes.
  4. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

that's for sure.......maybe more like 'blow' a hole thru. In the right conditions, that nasty hot coolant can easily over pressurize that small dry tank causing it to burst with a big pop. I remember seeing a vid of just that happening to someone of a Husky, but can't remember when/where I saw it.

I also agree w/Dirtdame comments on coolants......including make sure it has coolant in the radiators
    FYI: I'm running Engine Ice in our bikes.......the blue is color coordinated w/my Husky :D
  5. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    The blue stuff that comes stock is made by AGIP. Apparently you can get it from BMW and Lambergini dealers- if you like blue- do as stated and keep Engine Ice on hand.

Dirtdame is right- the silica in automotive antifreeze will prematurely wear water pump seals- some don't have it but you have to know what you are looking for- its best to stick with Motorcycle specific. I have had good luck with a 50/50 mix of Coolanal by Maxima , with undiluted antifreeze.

make sure the tank is always half full/ or half empty. Your radiators were thirsty and took coolant from the tank- might want more so check the level when cool- topping off, coupled with the right level in the tank and you are good.
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    My 2006 TE250 reservoir tank was dry when I got it, and I put some water in based on reports of the hot liquid burning through the overflow tank when it needs to come out of the radiator.

Thing is - it has never gotten hot enough to actually transfer liquid cause I don't ride that hard and it is a 250 so it is less prone to getting hot.

Although I'm quite sure that others could make the bike hot :lol:
  7. husky666 Mini-Sponsor

I ride my 05 TE 450 in the Califoria desert and even in July the resevoir never has anything in it.I put water in it once and it just steamed out of the cap and made my boot wet.I have often thought about removing it because it seems unnecessary to me.My buddy rides a TC 450 without any problems and they don't even come with a resevoir.I'm still running the stock coolant with no additives.:)
  8. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Here's what I got from the local VW shop.

Make sure it's "G12" and not "G11" it makes a difference.
    [IMG]
  9. fidollaz Husqvarna
    B Class

who stated "keep engine ice on hand" and why??

why not run 100% engine ice??
    or 100% g12?
    or 50%g12 +50% engine ice? (see quote below)
    anyone mixing distilled water at some percentage with the g12 or engine ice?

from the engine ice web site:
    "Can you mix Engine Ice with other products or types of coolant and antifreeze?

We recommend you never mix ANY TYPE of coolant and antifreeze products. One reason is that propylene glycol and ethylene glycol do not mix well together. Another reason is that just because the base fluid may be similar, other additives and ingredients may not be. Just as you would not mix oils, and for the same reasons, you should not mix coolants and antifreezes."
  10. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
  11. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Engine Ice should NOT be mixed with H20! The label clearly states this.
  12. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    My bad...:D
    Never used "Engine Ice" before thought it came 100% pure not already diluted.

Right off their web page.

Sorry
  13. Jrmobb Husqvarna
    AA Class

my reservoir is empty. when i ride slow single track stuff ive overheated it before and the reservoir fills up a little. after a few minutes it is sucked back into the radiators.
  14. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
  15. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    People apparently confuse the Husky "overflow" tank with the conventional coolant "reservoir" found on cars. In practical terms, an overflow tank on a 2T or 4T motorcycle should be considered a "surge" tank... or somewhere for coolant to flow (other than the ground) when things get too hot for the radiator to handle. As a former Pumpkin bike owner who's bikes did not come with an overflow as standard equipment, I can vouch that there is a HUGE need for an overflow tank on most bikes (if not all).
  16. Weantright Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 FX350 w/KYB Inserts
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 FE250 w/OC, 2016 XTrainer w/KYB
    Been using Engine Ice for a while now. Started with the KTM50 that over heated just sitting in the garage. My new 2008 TE250 came with an enpty anti-freeze bottle and was told to use it since I had it on the shelf. No issue with geling! Expensive but it does work along with two-2-cool oil additive (not needed in the husky).