1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2010 TE250 Ride Impression

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by NumberCruncher, Mar 21, 2010.

1. NumberCruncher Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just got back from taking a test ride on a 2010 TE250 that will soon be a demo bike for my dealer. Nice to be able to try a bike before you buy it.

I have been off a bike for 18 months so I didn't push too hard. Swinging a leg over the bike felt like any other recent year Husky. The ergos are comfortable if they favor a taller rider. Jeff said he had tweaked the EFI a bit that morning and adjusted the clickers as well.

The bike fired up instantly but I was disappointed to hear how loud the bike is. It isn't mx loud but is way too much for shared trails. I'll add an FMF Q4 or equivalent on my bike when I pick it up. I am pretty up-tight about exhaust note but the consensus among the group was that the bike needs to lose a few db for the woods so I don't think it's me.

I was concerned the bike would be all race and not trail worthy but that concern went away pretty quickly. The bike, with only 10 miles on the odo, pulled very hard, especially in the mid and upper rpm range. I expected less low end power but the bike is pretty strong down low. The bike wasn't real comfortable in the just above idle range where I sometimes find myself in really tight gnarly switchback type of terrain but once up a few rpm the bike really takes off. Everyone says you need to ride the bike like a 125 and while that may be the best way to extract the engine's full potential, the power will work well for recreational use like I intend.

So why might the bike not be real happy at extremely low revs? Could it be the engine is just so new it didn't want to run at that rpm range? That would not surprise me. Could it be the EFI needs tweaking? Maybe but the bike was so perfect everywhere else I can't really say. Could it be the fact that 1st gear is a little too tall for those conditions? I think that is it. I have always felt the TE line had too tall a first gear for really tight woods so this bike isn't really any different. This new engine certainly likes to rev but performs pretty well everywhere.

Given that so many people have purchased the TXC I was worried the TE would be too tame for when the trails opened up. That concern is now out the window. I didn't ride too hard but I had no trouble keeping the front end up on the sections of trail where that was needed. This new 250 engine is certainly more responsive than the older style. That inspires confidence. This bike is a lot stronger in the mid range than the 2007 TE250 I had and is much faster on top.

The sachs shock seemed to work very well and based on this initial ride I don't think I'll need a revalve. The forks, to my surprise, felt about perfect. They felt close to my re-valved Marzocchis and though I hated to see the zokes go, I don't think their will be any performance penalty.

The bike shifted well and the brakes were strong enough but I could tell the pads and rotors were not yet broken in. Cornering was light and natural as the bike settles into corners very easily. One of the coolest things about the bike was how smooth the engine ran. While last years 250 didn't vibrate too badly, this bike is noticeably smoother.

So I'll pick one up in the next few weeks and hopefully by then FMF will have a Q-4 available. With that and a 52 tooth rear sprocket the bike should work perfectly for the PNW.

NC
  2. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice report...can't wait for you to join us on the trails again...it's been way too long!
  3. OlivierTE250 Husqvarna
    A Class

Good write-up NumberCruncher

How much do you weigh? I also do "agressive recreational" riding. I went on a limb and bought the same bike without trying it first! Your post confirms first ride impressions from other (such as Kelly and Motology). I will post my first ride impressions in about a week.

Olivier
  4. NumberCruncher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Back in January I was the king of all fat little hobbits and weighed in at 195. Today at the gym I am down to 181 and should get down to 170 by late spring.

I would happily have bought the bike without trying it as I think most of us have to do that. I just got lucky in that I stopped by the dealer as he was prepping the bike for conversion to a demo machine. BTW, he did change out the stock tires for better ones. I'll do the same.

NC
  5. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Greg,

I encourage you to give the Motoz s/t rear a shot if your're mostly trail riding. Damn good hook up where a trials would be preferred but also shines where a knobby does well. I'm talking wet/damp loam and mud. Hope to see you on a ride in the future! 1st is too tall for tight stuff, have to work the clutch a lot. It loves the revs! I think this little mptor is a winner for Husky once the operator gets used to it!
  6. elliott-rider Husqvarna
    C Class

g'day
    does any know how the leo vince slip on would do compared to the fmf q4. i just got my Leo Vince slip on that i ordered from the special parts catalog and was wondering if i made the right choice
  7. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not sure about the FMF q4 making more or less than the Leo but the ECU that the Leo comes with makes the bike run better. Bike is very linear now and even easier to ride. I installed the original exhaust with SA out to see the difference and preferred the Leo. The original exhaust was only louder. The Leo sound is just right in my opinion with the insert out. The only issue with the Leo is be careful when carving through trees as it sticks out pretty far. I already have a dent in it. How long did I wait for this exhaust and then first ride whamo. Here is what I was riding in. 2010 TXC 250, stock silencer on at this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt9vLhvnyrk
  8. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Sounds like a nice test ride. How cool to be able to do a test like that before buying!

One thing i've noticed common between most the Husky models, too high of a first gear- at least the TE's. Seems Husky needs to start to listen to its riders.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Your report sounds right on. The bike gets better with some miles as well. Motor loosens up and makes even more power. Funny the mags talk about this motor being weak and every time I ride mine or another one I am amazed at the 400 like power. Yep, 1st is tall. Go get one. :thumbsup:
  10. Mootak Husqvarna
    AA Class

I agree Kelly, The TE250 pulled my 235 lbs. around like a bigger bore in the mid range and up. Since the bike was spankin' new I didn't rev her to the moon yet, but I can tell this is one fun unit!
    Once EFI is dialed and a quick sprocket change all will be fine.
    As far as handling goes - It begs to be pushed hard in turns (almost as if you can hear the 250 saying "your a rock star!" with great rewards exiting the turns.
    Just saying this bike suprised me and everyone else that rode it.:thumbsup:

Later,
    Jeff Tasky
  11. NumberCruncher Husqvarna
    AA Class

One last item is that the clutch engages/disengages as soon as you pull the lever. That took a little getting used to but wan't a plus or minus.

I am looking forward to getting back on the trails.

NC
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It's a plus to me as i like mine right there at the end for quick fanning. :thumbsup: I like to use 2 fingers and this allows you to disengage the clutch ASAP and leave fingers on the bar.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes, it is an "eager" bike. Wants to rip it up everywhere. It's kinda hyper, lets go kinda bike. Likes enthusiastic pilots for sure.
  14. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mine was very slow when I first got it....like I wanna take it back slow.

I gave it a good run yesterday and by the end of the day I would consider it fast.

I need to get the suspension sorted out, I'm still way faster on my '04 WR250.
  15. KDXfile Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm really impressed with the power on mine from 1/4 throttle up. The front end comes right up on it's own if you're not careful. Like mentioned before, it doesn't run well from idle to 1/8 throttle positions where I tend to ride tight single track. It makes the bike so hard to ride I've been riding my other bike until I get it sorted out.
    I wish they had released the TE/TXC bikes with a carb.
  16. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

got my TE250 a couple weeks ago,havent had time to break it in yet,has six miles on it,hasnt been off road yet.Been racing joe chods old 2007 WR144 as I have had three races in a row,leaves very little time to even get the bike ready for the next race,may give the WR144 a weekend off and race my 2005 gasgas 250! lucky this next race is the last for me for a month or so and will be able to get some much needed time on the new bike
  17. NumberCruncher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Let's hope that issue can be resolved with EFI mapping. It should be.

I am set to buy this bike as there is nothing else out there I want. I'll add two teeth to the rear sprocket so I can manage the tight stuff better. Hopefully the idle to 1/8th throttle matter can be resolved in the near future.

BTW, in my short test ride I felt like it took work to control the power of the bike. I think that is mostly because I have been off a bike for 18 months. Have you noticed this at all? I have owned two TE450s over the past several years so I know how to control the throttle.

Can't wait to take one of these home.

NC
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Rumor is there is a factory ECU or flash coming to remap and fix this issue. Finland is already getting it and all reports are very positive.

the slight hesitation off the bottom and the instantaneous power is a little interesting to control. This bike would do well with a throttle cam to slow the first 1/4 throttle. It likes to jump. the bike is fast and spontaneous so you need to monitor the throttle a little more like on a 250 2 stroke. With the upgrade ECU to fix the slight hesitation and the throttle cam this bike would be unstoppable. One other thing i have noticed is the EFI butterfly is way EZer to turn than opening a slide. This means every little bump and body reposition results in a small burst of power. The bike is very reactive to small inputs and the EFI is like right now. You do learn to be smooth with the throttle and then all is good. It's a different animal for sure, a fast eager to go one.

side note: I have ridden several KTM 250F's in the last month or so, SX, WEXCWEDLTD whatever models and and i don't get it. The mags call it the fastest 250F and the TXC the slowest and the TXC feels like it eats the KTM's lunch back to back in the woods. The TXC smokes them off the bottom, has more mid and the top feels about the same. the TXC is quicker reving and leaps into the mid quick and with authority. Seems faster / quicker than the KTM 250F's to me. :excuseme:
  19. John47 Husqvarna
    B Class

Hello raisrx251. I would like to try that ecu box on my TXC . Is it part # 8000H2929, for box and muffler. My Dealer isn't sure what item to order.

Thanks.
  20. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, part number 8000H2929 is for the Leo Vince silencer with matching ECU. Last time I checked Husky had extras in stock.

Part number 8000H2465 includes the head pipe but it still was not available last time I checked.

Both of these are for the 2010 TE/TXC 250.

Like I have said the silencer is very nice but Titanium is fragile and does stick out a little further than the stock one. In other words read, I already put a dent in mine...