1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 125/144 Power valve Governor springs

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by wallybean, Jan 4, 2010.

1. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Just an FYI. The kits are up on Hall's Cycle's web site. They are listed under Husqvarna Accessories- Engine.

Walt
  2. nimiz1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

i just ordered one for me
    thanks
  3. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

Just got the kit today. I will wait until I get down south on 20th or so to test the stock setup and the new 144 kit. Then install the lightest spring and go from there.

But...when I installed the power valve linkage 3 months had pass and could not recall how it went back in. I thought I had it correctly back together but from the pictures in the kit I'm not sure anymore :doh:

Anyone have a good picture of the top of the powervalve linkage?
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Gestion01,

Do you need a picture of the upper linkage and spring attachment? When the governor is in and the linkage shaft is in the correct place the flat sides will line up with the head of the front motor mount bolt.

I will try to take a pic and post it tomorrow.

Walt
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Is this what you need? Or the part right before this? will look for a pic of that.

[IMG]

or this one...

[IMG]
  6. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

The second picture is right on! very,very clean pics.

Thanks Motosportz!

I did put it back together ok after all. I don't get the use of the spring on the linkage...why not just bolt it right up instead. What purpose does it have?
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

It allows the linkage to move more than the limited range of the power valves themselves. This keeps the power valves from wearing in the pin area and closing or opening to far with catastrophic results.

Walt
  8. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

Ok, makes sense now.

It's almost like owning a new bike, can't wait to test all these goodies out.:cheers:

I have only 2 runs up and down the street with the 144. I hate winter!
  9. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Tuning Range in Graphical Format

I just received my power valve spring kit. I have not installed it yet, but wanted to contribute some graphical information. These plots compliment the data table supplied with the kit. This provides a visual reference for the range of adjustment.

All plots below contain the same large springs (LS). Then, each plot shows the combined effect of adding a small spring (SS). The last plot is a summary of all springs.

(Large Springs Only) vs. (Large Springs + Silver Small Springs)
    [IMG]

(Large Springs Only) vs. (Large Springs + Blue Small Springs)
    [IMG]

(Large Springs Only) vs. (Large Springs + Green Small Springs)
    [IMG]

All Combinations
    [IMG]
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Matt,

All I can say is "WOW" :applause: thanks for doing that for the guys. I really wish I had a dyno so that I could put curves to your charts. Maybe Husky will donate some time on the Dyno that is in Missoula so that I can get some real world figures for everybody with the OEM 144 kit. Hint Hint Hint if anyone is listening.

Walt
  11. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    No problem. Glad that I could help out. It's cool to see how the large springs are the same rate but only shift the RPM range. Then, adding a small spring makes the valve opening very controlled (increased slope = larger RPM range until full open).

Great work Walt! :cheers:
  12. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I ordered my today from Hall. So if I want alot more bottom end than stock on my 2008 cr125 I would want powervalve to close longer or until more rpms are higher or is it other way around. Looks like large yellow with small silver would help mid range. Thanks for all the work you guys have put into this. I can t wait to try them out and for snow to go away.
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Pedec,

The weaker the spring the earlier the power valves open. It really isn't going to effect your bottom end. It will give you a large mid-range rip if you lower the opening rpm. The inner springs just modulate how fast they open completely. So if you are running just a weaker outer spring you will see the same abrupt opening of the PV's that you have now just at a lower rpm = longer pull. If you use the inner springs you get a more controlled surge earlier in the rpm range and the largest rip higher up close to where it rips currently.

Kevin in Boise who installed the kit in his 04 CR 125 described it like he had two powerbands. The initial opening with a mid-range surge and then another hit at where the pv's open completely at a higher rpm. I have been really curious about the results in the pre-09 125's considering there different carb's/reed valves/porting.

Keep us informed as the kit can always be adjusted with different inner springs. I am currently trying to get another inner spring made that will be a half way point between the silver spring and no inner spring. This will be a custom spring and I haven't got a quote back on costs yet. The blue inner spring is mostly there to give you the ability to micro adjust your opening rpm. The small amount that it modulates the opening speed is kind of irrelevant in a fast revving 125.

Walt
  14. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I for one would love to know what the HP/Tq numbers are for a stock CR125 vs the EG 144 kit. Then throw on some Walt springs and see how the curves mover around.
  15. zanol Husqvarna
    B Class

My 2000 wr 125 it´s the same to kelly photos
  16. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

I know Colorado is a long way from Montana, but I will offer up my shop and dyno for your spring testing if you want to make the trip :thumbsup:

Hidden agenda: Id like the ride a WR125/144, then maybe Id get one :D

My shop address:

3455 Fillmore Ridge Hts
    Colorado Springs, CO 80907
  17. kleemann Husqvarna
    A Class

18. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I want to get one of these kits for my WR250, and you'd be more than welcome to try it out on your dyno. I know it's a 125, I've not seen anyone in CO post up that has a 125. Brad.
  19. Flyin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300
    I would like to see some dyno charts showing PV fully open vs PV fully closed.
    Then choosing the best spring combo to bridge the gap :popcorn:
  20. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Sorry Kleeman,

I haven't been monitering the thread enough. I would love to combine my 144 with your dyno and the springs. The best thing I could do is have both the Eric gore cylinder and the OEM 144 cylinder with maps for both with all the different spring combinations.

I will look for some way to make it happen.

I am willing to donate a WR 250 spring kit if you can get one in your area to try the springs on your dyno.

Walt